Oncology Trust Fund
The Oncology Trust Fund OTF was established in 2005 as a supplemental source of funding to enhance research and educational activities within the Department of Oncology. It was initiated as a collaboration with pharmaceutical companies, who were invited to participate by providing small annual unrestricted grants in return for regular educational opportunities offered by the Department. The fund is available to all faculty members who are primarily or cross-appointed to the department of Oncology.
1) Potential uses of funds:
- Funding for medical and radiation residents to defray costs of educational and research opportunities;
- Support research activities of other trainees doing research under the direct supervision of department members;
- Assist with community education projects related to oncology;
- Defray some expenses (up to a maximum of $500) of guest speakers to events such as Grand Rounds in Oncology and\or resident half-day.
2) Terms and Conditions for use of funds:
- The applicant must be either primarily appointed or cross-appointed to the Department of Oncology;
- Prior department approval for requested expense must be must be sought. Funding will not be provided retroactively;
- The fund is a limited resource; as such the fund should not be viewed as the sole source of funding for most requests; applicants are required to seek alternate sources of funding as well;
- Approval for request and sum of funds to be made available is at the discretion of Department Head or delegate;
- Financial advances are not available. All supporting documentation to substantiate the approved costs must be submitted to Micheline McDonald, within 30 days to be processed for reimbursement;
- All travel is subjected to the Kingston General Hospital travel policy guidelines http://www.kgh.on.ca/en/aboutkgh/strategyandperformance/Accountability/Pages/KGH-Travel--Hospitality-policy.aspx
- Potential conflicts of interest must be declared in advance, on the request for funding form.
- Residents and fellows primarily affiliated with the department are eligible for conference funding if they are presenting; other trainees doing research under the direct supervision of department members may be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Amount is limited to $1500 per request
- Applicants are eligible once per calendar year
The Department of Oncology wishes to acknowledge the following for their continued support in Oncology education:
Roche - Novartis - Bayer Inc. - Bristol-Myers Squibb
Merck Canada - Gilead - Servier Canada
AbbVie Corporation - Celgene - Pfizer
AstraZeneca - EMD Serono - Amgen - Eli Lilly
Apobiologix - Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals